I’m officially obsessed with knitting. There’s nothing like turning a length of soft and pretty yarn into something you can wear. I’m slowly accumulating quite the repertoire of needles and other accoutrements. To my dismay, the cat loves the tools of my new trade. In an effort to deter him, I’ve created a knitting clutch for my purly goodness. So, here’s my first attempt at a crafty how-to for you. Let me know what you think! I’d love to see photos if you use my instructions! Oh, and how do YOU store your knits and needles?
A cute little case!
1. Measure down 3” from top left edge of lining. Using pencil or marker, mark a small dot here (dot one). (fig. 1a)
2. Measure in 2” on left side of lining. Make a 2nd small dot here. (fig. 1b)
Fig. 1a & 1b
3. Pin wrong side of purple felt to right side of lining, beginning from 2nd dot. Pin three sides leaving the top of felt open (forming a pocket). (fig. 2)
4. Measure 3” from top right hand corner of purple felt. Mark a 3rd small dot. (fig. 3)
5. Pin wrong side of green felt to right side of lining, beginning at 3rd dot. Pin three sides leaving the top of felt open (forming a pocket). (fig. 3)
6. Measure 3” from top right hand corner of green felt. Mark a 4th small dot.
7. Pin wrong side of teal felt to right side of lining, beginning at 4th dot. Pin three sides leaving top side open (forming a pocket). (fig. 4)
8. Measure 1” up from teal pocket and pin all four sides of second teal felt piece. (fig. 4)
9. On Purple Pocket, measure in 1 inch from left side and mark with a marker or hold spot with a straight pin. Repeat this every inch across felt. Repeat on second piece of 5×8” felt. (fig. 5)
10. Sew along all pinned lines leaving using half-inch ( ½”) seam allowances.
11. Pin lining and large gray felt piece right sides together.
12. Sew fabric together, leaving a half-inch ( ½”) seam allowance. Leave a 3” opening along bottom right.
13. Trim and iron seams.
14. Turn fabric right sides out. Iron.
15. Sew up opening along bottom right. (fig. 6)
16. On lining, measure 8 inches from left edge. Mark a vertical line with straight pins. (fig. 7a)
17. Measure 8 inches from pins and mark another line with pins. (fig. 7b)
Fig. 7a & 7b
18. Sew from top to bottom along vertical pin lines.
19. On gray felt side of the smallest section (a.k.a. the flap of clutch), pin length of boucle yarn along edges. (fig. 8)
20. Using zig-zag stitch, sew over the top of yarn around edges. Trim off any remaining yarn. (fig. 9)
21. Sew snap into clutch.
Enjoy your delightful new clutch!